Mahy.Ridley.Hazzard Engineers Ltd (formerly Engineering Design Associates Ltd.), is a Civil and Structural Engineering practice, which commenced operations during October 2001. The firm offer the following professional engineering services to private and public sector clients in Barbados and the Caribbean:
- Participation in the development, coordination and management of consulting and construction projects from pre-feasibility stage through to completion.
- Computer-aided design and analysis of structures and foundations; pre-stressed concrete bridges; reinforced concrete, blockwork, steel and timber buildings; and other structures.
- Design of flexible and rigid pavements for roads, highways and runways.
- Design of retaining walls, dams, drainage structures and sea defence works.
- Watershed management and hydrology.
- Hydrologic modeling for flood routing and control, and design of surface water drainage schemes.
- Design of sewage and solid waste disposal schemes.
- Environmental impact assessments; traffic impact assessments.
- Condition surveys and reports for the valuation of buildings and facilities.
- Assessment of damage caused by structural failure, fire, earthquakes, vibrations, hurricanes, flooding and high seas, and recommendations for remedial works.
- Natural hazard damage mitigation surveys and programmes.
- Preparation of technical specifications, engineering drawings, and contract documents.
- Inspection and supervision of construction works.
- Expert technical witnessing and arbitration.
By its third year of operation, the firm counted among its client base companies such as Shell Oil Products Latin America (now The Sol Group), Securicor Barbados Ltd., Goddards Enterprises Ltd. and DaCosta Mannings Inc. In that period of time, the firm was also fortunate to undertake assignments on a number of significant projects including Hilton Barbados, Sugar Bay Development, Mantaray Bay Development, Kensington Oval Re-Development for World Cup 2007 and a six-storied office building for British-American Insurance Company (Barbados Ltd).
On 1 July 2005, the firm established an association with the principals of the long-established civil and structural engineering practice, Mahy Chaderton & Ridley Ltd. The renamed firm, Mahy.Ridley.Hazzard Engineers Ltd., gained an enhanced capability to compete and to continue to offer professional services across the Caribbean.
Mahy.Ridley.Hazzard’s Professional Staff
The firm’s professional staff is well trained and comprises the following persons, supported by administrative staff:
- Mr. Gregory Hazzard BSc, MBA, Director – Mr. Hazzard is a civil and structural engineer with over 20 years of varied experience on construction projects and engineering studies in the Caribbean. Mr. Hazzard holds a BSc in Civil Engineering (1986) from the University of Manchester, U.K., and an MBA (1995) from the University of Western Ontario, Canada. He is a Past President of the Barbados Association of Professional Engineers (BAPE) and, served from 1997 – 2010, representative of the construction industry on the National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health.
- Messrs. Bertrand Mahy, ARCAT(Hons), CEng, MICE & Michael Ridley, BSc, CEng, MICE, Consultants – Messrs. Mahy and Ridley are very experienced and highly capable engineers with together over 80 years of varied professional engineering and project management experience across the Caribbean region.
- Mr. Anthony Glasgow, BEng, Engineer – Mr. Anthony Glasgow holds a BEng in Civil Engineering (2000) from the University of Guyana. He has ten years of experience on significant civil and structural works (including schools, multi-storey buildings, roads, water supply and irrigation schemes, and flood control structures), serving as design engineer, resident engineer or project manager.
- Mr. Shur-Wayne Nicholls, BSc, MSc Engineer – Mr. Nicholls holds a BSc in Civil Engineering (2002) and an MSc degree in Construction Engineering and Management (2007) from the University of the West Indies, Trinidad. Mr. Nicholls has varied experience in designing and conducting structural inspections of construction works. He is also the 2007 recipient of the Consulting Engineers Partnership Prize for achieving the highest mark in Structural Design, and is a Graduate Member of Barbados Association of Professional Engineers.
- Ms. Antonia M. Hart, BSc, MSc, DIC, Graduate Engineer – Ms. Hart holds a BSc in Civil Engineering (2005) from the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus and a MSc degree in Advanced Structural Engineering from the Imperial College, London. She received the award of Mark of Merit from the institution which carries with it the designation Diploma of Imperial College (DIC). She has four years design office experience, two in Trinidad and two with Mahy.Ridley.Hazzard in Barbados, gathering design office experience in structural steel and reinforced concrete design as well as general works for roads and drainage designs. Significant civil and structural designs include muliti-storey residential buildings with site works, cinema complexes, commercial buildings, warehouses and smaller residences.
- Mr. Erskine Coppin, Senior Engineering Technician – Mr. Coppin has over 20 years of extensive and varied experience and is an expert engineering technician. He is a Past Vice-President and Founding Member of the Barbados Association of Engineering Draughting Technicians.
- Mr. Andrew Phillips, OTD, Senior Engineering Technician – Mr. Phillips has 20 years of extensive and varied experience and is an expert engineering technician. He has worked on several projects both local and regional. Some of the jobs worked on are World Cup Barbados, Hilton Hotel, Villa Nova Hotel, Department of Agriculture and Beef Island Fire Station in Tortola.
- Mr. Abraham Sealy, Engineering Technician – Mr. Sealy is a capable and knowledgeable engineering technician, having received his early training with Mahy Chaderton and Ridley Ltd. and subsequently gained valuable experience working with a leading pre-cast and pre-stressed concrete products manufacturer.
With the varied training, skills and experience of its professional staff, Mahy.Ridley.Hazzard Engineers Ltd. is able to provide valuable engineering, technical and project management inputs appropriate to a wide range of projects. The firm also has working arrangements with a number of other professionals and firms and it associates with these on a project basis, for additional expertise and resources, as necessary.